Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Namesake

Wow! So I just read the first 2 chapters of The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. You know, I went in thinking it would be another boring novel for English but I actually enjoyed it! However, it was only the first two chapters so I have to keep reading to see if things stay the same. One thing in the book really interested me: the connection between Ashoke's mother fearing he would be hit by a bus or a tram and die while reading a book and how Ashoke almost actually died, deep into "The Overcoat".

So here's where it started, Lahiri explains how Ashoke was always reading books and how "Ashoke's mother was always conviced that her eldest son would be hit by a bus or a tram, his nose deep into War and Peace. That he would be reading a book the moment he died" (13). I think the assumption here (at least what I thought while reading) is that he would be reading and be so into the book that he wouldn't notice a tram or bus coming, and he would then get hit and die. To me, that is quite sad that his mother was CONVINCED that he would get hit and be reading a book when he died. The interesting part is that she would almost right, but not in the way that I think she expected or thought he would. 

So now I'll explain what ACTUALLY happened. As a 22 year old, he was traveling on the 83 Up Howrah-Ranchi Express to visit his grandparents for the holidays. So at night, everyone went to bed and was asleep except for Ashoke. Can you guess what he was doing? Reading, of course! So at 2:30 in the morning, the tram derailed and his bogie capsized and was flung far into a field. Most of the people asleep died, but Ashoke stayed alive (obviously still injured however). 

So here's the interesting connection: his mom believed he would be reading a book when he died and he ALMOST did die while reading a book (technically "The Overcoat" is a short story, but it's the reading something that matters). However, the complexity is the fact that him reading is what saved him contrary to what his mom thought (that reading the book would indirectly kill him)! The only reason he was not sleeping is because he was reading; had he been sleeping, he would have died like the rest... How's that for a twist? I really enjoyed reading that part. 

I'm excited to see where Gogol, Ashima, and Ashoke go next!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you Jacob! I also thought it was really interesting the scene of how he almost dies. I think it plays around with the idea of expectations vs. reality. I think by contrasting our expectations for how Ashoke would almost die and how he actually almost died keeps us, as readers, on our toes and engaged in the novel. I wonder if there will be any more plot twist like this further along in the novel. Great job!
    Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete