Thursday, September 12, 2013

Indecisive Eveline

Hello everyone, my name is Jacob, and this is my blog. In my blog, I will write about my thoughts and opinions about literature that I encounter throughout this year. I'll analyze the literature and convey my ideas out in this blog. Feel free to comment any responses or comments you have. I hope you enjoy!




My favorite work that I read this summer was "Eveline" by James Joyce. I thoroughly enjoyed how the story kept me wanting to read more. I kept wanting to read more because I never knew what her final decision would be because she changed her mind so much. Joyce did a fantastic job of displaying Eveline's character to be an indecisive young woman who is very passive and lets other people drive the boat. This left my hanging as a reader wanting to know more because I never knew what evidence would come up to sway or change her decision. Near the end of the story, Eveline comments how he "would save her," which at this point made me believe that she would go away with him. Barely a paragraph or two later, she changes her mind and says how he would "drown her" when it came time for her to go with him. It resonated with me as when the time comes to make a big decision, fear and the unknown can sometimes make you change your mind on the spot at that very moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment